There are a number of programs that can help homeowners who are at risk of foreclosure or struggling with their monthly mortgage payments. Most of these programs are run by the U.S. Treasury Department and the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD).
- HUD’s Avoiding Foreclosure webpage has information about how to lower your monthly mortgage payments and get into more stable loans at lower rates. It also provides information for homeowners at risk of foreclosure who wish to sell their homes.
- The Making Home Affordable Program helps homeowners avoid foreclosure. You’ll find information about programs that can help people who are having trouble making mortgage payments due to unemployment or if you’re considering a short sale. Includes information in Spanish and resources for members of the military.
What Steps Should I Take if I’m Facing Foreclosure?
- Talk with a HUD-approved housing counselor by calling 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) (TTY: 1-877-304-9709).
- Contact your lender first if you are facing foreclosure. Many people avoid calling their lender when they have financial troubles fearing that, if they disclose this information, their lender will rush to collection or foreclosure. Foreclosure is expensive for lenders and mortgage insurers, so they have an interest in working with you to solve the problem.
- Follow the tips put together by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System to prevent foreclosure.
- Read the Federal Trade Administration’s (FTC) about what to do if you are struggling to pay your mortgage.
How Can I Avoid Foreclosure Scams?
The Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System has put together some tips for avoiding foreclosure scams. Here’s one important tip: Make sure your foreclosure counseling agency is on HUD’s list of approved agencies.
Visit Disability.gov to find more resources about avoiding foreclosure. Use the “Locations” menu on the left side of the page to find resources in your community.
- Your Path to a More Affordable Mortgage (video)
- Loan Modification Scam Online Complaint Form
- Making Home Affordable Programs