How Do I Apply for Temporary Disability Benefits?

The Social Security Administration does not pay temporary disability benefits. However, there are disability compensation programs, such as workers’ compensation, that provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to workers or their dependents who are injured on the job or have an occupational disease.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs has fact sheets to answer frequently asked questions. Workers injured while employed by private companies or state and local government agencies should contact their State Workers’ Compensation Board.

Some states make temporary cash payments to individuals who cannot work because of sickness or injury that was not caused by their job. Contact your state’s Department of Labor to find out what assistance is offered in your state.


Return to’s Guide to Disability Benefits.