Finding a job can be challenging, especially if you’re just starting your career or have been out of work for a while. However, there are many programs that offer people with disabilities job training opportunities and help finding employment. Be sure to check out Disability.Blog’s employment related posts to learn about topics such as working from home and to read stories of people with disabilities who have made great strides in the workplace.
Disability.gov’s Employment section offers a broad range of resources about finding a job. In addition, we have developed this guide to connect you with programs, services, government agencies and organizations that can help you find information about career planning and job training, employment laws and regulations and job accommodations and supports.
For information about starting or growing a small business, visit Disability.gov’s Guide to Self-Employment and Starting a Small Business.
Here are a few “quick links” to get you started:
- Find Your State’s Job Bank
- Find an American Job Center Near You
- Read the Return-to-Work Toolkit to Get Job Search Tips for Workers with Disabilities
- Get Job Training and Placement Services from your State Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Office
- Visit GetMyFuture to Find Employment & Training Resources for Young People
- Learn about Working for the Federal Government
- Get Employment Resources for People with Disabilities
- Read the White House Guide for Employers on Recruiting and Hiring People with Disabilities
- Learn about Employment Rights – Who Has Them and Who Enforces Them
- Learn about Getting Job Accommodations
- Find out about the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Employers – Use the TalentWorks Tool to Ensure Accessibility of Online Job Applications & Other Recruitment Tools
For more information about employment, check out the following sections of this guide:
- Where Can I Get Help Finding a Job?
- What Are Some Online Search Tools I Can Use to Find a Job?
- Where Can I Get Information about Applying for Federal Government Jobs?
- Are There Any Employment Programs Specifically for Veterans or Service Members?
- Where Can High School and College Students Get Help with Their Job Search?
- Where Can I Get Information about Job Training Programs?
- Where Can I Find Information about Working from Home/Telework?
- Where Can I Get Help with Writing a Resume and Preparing for Interviews?
- Are There Any Programs That Help People Receiving Disability Benefits Return to Work?
- How Will Working Affect My Social Security Disability Benefits?
- If I Have a Disability, Are There Adjustments or Accommodations That Can Be Made to Help Me Do My Job?
- What Are My Legal Rights as an Employee or Jobseeker with a Disability?
- Where Can Employers Find Help Recruiting and Hiring Workers with Disabilities?
- What is the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act?