Student financial aid can come in several different forms – scholarships, grants, work-study and loans. This guide explains financial aid options for students attending or planning to attend college or career or technical school. You’ll learn about applying for federal student aid, scholarships for students with disabilities and other types of financial aid to help you pay your tuition, fees and other higher education expenses.
Here are some “quick links” to get you started:
- Federal Student Aid at a Glance, 2015-16
- Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- College Funding for Students with Disabilities
- U.S. Department of Labor’s Scholarship Search Tool
- Paying for College
- Types of Federal Student Aid (YouTube video)
- CareerOneStop Financial Aid Information
- GetMyFuture Scholarship Finder
- 5 Ways to Pay off Your Student Loans Faster
- The College Board’s Scholarship Search
- State Higher Education Agencies
The federal government awards education grants and loans to more than 14 million students every year. Many state and local government agencies, colleges and universities and corporations and religious organizations also offer financial help for students in need. Check out the sections of this guide below to learn about work-study programs, the difference between grants and loans, scholarship search tools and more. Disability.gov’s Education section also has a wide range of resources about financial aid options for students who want to continue their education after high school. In addition, we have developed this guide to connect you with programs, services, government agencies and organizations that offer scholarships, grants, loans and other types of financial aid.
For more information about financial aid, check out the following sections of “Disability.gov’s Guide to Student Financial Aid”:
- What Is Federal Student Aid?
- How Do I Apply for Federal Student Aid?
- Does My State Have Any Student Financial Aid Programs?
- Where Can I Find Scholarships to Apply for?
- Are There Any Scholarships Specifically for Students with Disabilities?
- Grants & Loans – What’s the Difference & How Do I Apply for Them?
- What if I Have Trouble Repaying a Federal Student Loan?
- What Is Federal Work-Study & How Do I Apply for It?
- Is There Financial Aid Available for Adult Students & Continuing Education?
- What Tax Credits & Deductions for Education Are Available?